I am in an office, simulating some work or what my old friend Himangshu says – playing office office. I was asked by a lady what are my views on India’s Mars mission. Till a second before, I had none but then a discussion started and here I write below.
1. This whole Mars mission is a colossal waste of taxpayer’s money, intelligence of scientists and limited time we have, each one of us in this planet.
2. Taxpayer’s money is a hard earned money which citizens get after hard work through commerce, business, running a trade. None of their objective while doing their work is to have someone in Mars or moon or in Pluto for that matter. In that sense, the taxpayer pays the tax because he is forced and also under the impression that this money (some 30% – 35% of the money value of his labour’s essence) will be spent on something which will be of public good
3. A scientist means many things today. However, to me, true science needs to explore only three questions and nothing else : Who am I ? Where did I come from ? What is my relationship with this cosmic existence ?
4. With or Without going into Mars, our time in Earth planet is limited. This time’s highest productive level is still shortened by disease, accidents, old age and other maladies. The businessman inside me tells me that I have very little time to satisfy my curiosities considering little and irreversible nature of one resource I have – time.
A book by the same title (you can read the book by clicking above) was written and released by a Bengali gentleman – called Mr. A.C Dey in 1960s when there was the mad rush to go to the moon. The book argued that there are better means to go to the other planets and we have been doing this since eternity. Since we have done this so much, our very aspiration to do so by rockets only testify this inherent urge and to re-experience it. But the method is wrong. The book argued that one can go to any planet one wishes but for that one needs to have a specific kind of body and authorization.
For example, if I want to go to New York from Calcutta during winter, I not only need to prepare my body with proper clothing suitable to fight New York winter but also need to have visa. If I do not do the former, my body will be destroyed (dead through cold exposure) and if I do not have the visa, I shall not be allowed to enter by the authorities. Hence, just my wish to go to New York and the means (say making an aircraft in my garage by myself) are not enough.
The book argues that there is an easier, personalized and simple method to go to any planet for every person in every planet. That process is detailed in Vedic Literature and people used them. The process is to prepare a body suitable for a particular planet one desires to go and getting authorization for going there. The first process is to practice a specific yogic process and the authorization comes in the time when you change the present body (death). There are trillions of planets and each planet has inhabitants having a suitable body for that planet. It is height of stupidity and narrow vision to consider our earthly body as the only body. If there are inhabitants in the sun, they must be having a body predominantly of fire.
Mars Mission : achievements
Our readers will argue against this and I am listing their counter-arguments below and will defend my position :
1. This is a great achievement of our country. A matter of national pride.
>> The birth place of a person is a default one – i.e. we have no say on this. Whether I will be born in a specific country, specific species or specific planet is not decided by me for sure. After a few decades, our body will change and we will be forced to take another body. This natural law remains imposed and unchangeable whether our rockets go or do not go to moon, mars or sun or wherever. This pride is a temporal and false pride and finishes as soon as the current body is finished.
2. This technological research will help my next generation.
>> Another narrow view. Since I am having a human body and operating in earth planet in this time, I have established a link with ‘generation’. However, I am not aware what body I am going to get next. Say I am a NASA scientist and worked for many such projects and change my body and next body I become a dog and live near some house in the mission control. How my next generation reward or help me or how can I help them ? With change of body, all previous memories are erased in most of the cases and we are then controlled by the dictates of the specific body. Like the body of an Einstein formulates beautiful equations, a dog barks and sniffs strongly. Our bodies are like prisons and going to any planet is not going to solve this problem of being inside the prison.
3. This is advancement of scientific knowledge and these researches will benefit us
>> We need to examine four words here : advancement, scientific, knowledge, research. What is advancement and advancement for whom ? what is knowledge ? what is science and scientific knowledge and what is research ?
These researches will improve the four aspects of life, in variation : eating, sleeping, security, sense gratification culminating into sex. Four aspects of existence : ahar – nidra – bhay – maithunya. Animals, lower animals manage these four aspects. If a human being uses facebook to attract a girl for romance and sex, it is not a great improvement where a dog sprinkes his urine to attract a bitch using hormonal feremones. The basic idea is same : to attract a partner for sense gratification. If you examine soberly every aspect of these research, scientific advancement, you will find that these are all advancements of things which lower animals also do, albeit in a low standard way.
Massive research is done by companies to find out, using google maps as where are the prospective customers and to make money (for a living). A vulture does the same thing while his body can be considered like an airplane.
The conclusion is that unless one goes above animal existence ( ahar – nidra – bhay – maithunya) and asks the question : Who am I ? Why am I being subjected to so much suffering ? I do not want to be diseased but disease comes, why ? I do not want to grow old, but old age comes, why ? I do not want to die, but I die. Why ? Is there any way out of this ? Is there any way to overcome this ? This is advancement . This is scientific knowledge. This is true research worthy of a human being.
4. It will satisfy our curiosity
The universe is so vast and our curiosity is infinite that it will go on infinitely. However, had it been without cost, I would have remained silent. However these missions are highly costly and best brains are involved and what is the result ?
- Bringing some stones and dust
- Finding or not finding life on those planets
- Speculating using arcane scientific theories which change like fashion every ten years or so
- Some scientists are getting fat salary and convincing the policy makers of the relevance of these missions and thus protecting their employments and facilities
- False hopes and making fancier toys and providing the policy makers with the great ruse to seek more money from the citizens for the next explorations
- There are serious arguments of spending this money elsewhere for better utilization
In short, so much being wasted to satisfy the curiosity of so few !
These missions are neither truly scientific, nor advancement and not useful research but a costly way to exploit the urge of common people’s aspiration, money and intelligence by a small group.
If one is really interested to go to another planet, there are standard procedures and it is essentially making one’s body suitable for the specific planet.
These so called scientists are so interested to go to some planet or other or curious to know but ironically not interested to research into the first question worthy of a human being : Athatho Brahma-jiggansa
Now, after many bodies and births and deaths into lower forms, I have got this human form of body. Let me now inquire into the Source of Everything – the Absolute Truth – Who am I ?
If a human being does not ask this and takes pride in only sending some toys to this planet of that planet, it is as good as a dog jumping from this neighborhood to that neighborhood and thinking that he is advancing in knowledge and doing useful research.
We pardon the poor dog that the poor animal does not know the vastness of the earth and a decade or so left for him to leave this planet.